The day started off very well, smashing weather for outside welding. I got the prep done ready for welding the rest of the rubbing strakes on. This was cleaning the joints with a rotary wire brush to clear the paint and rust and green stuff that has developed over the time it has stood outside. I then blew the joints out with compressed air to dry behind the strake.
I have changed to .8mm wire from 1mm for now which needed a new drive roller which fortunately arrived just in time.
I got a good few hours welding done finishing the strake welding. When it got dark I packed away which is where the day went bad. The trolley I have the welder on tipped over on some soft ground. So the new regulator I bought 2 weeks ago now needs a new gauge, but worse than that my Velux welding mask got smashed.
I have had this mask 10 years, and they no longer make it I am told. It was £140 then. I know they have dropped in price since but I still have to replace it, and I could not find one with a view window as big as the velux. I have a standard Jackson mask which will do for now, and have orderd another auto mask form an ebay tool merchant which seems to have good reviews,