As the locks on the continent are much larger and often shared with very large commercial barges of 1000's of tones we needed to have more than mooring bollards we need working bollards. These need to be easy to reach and the stern ones in a position that will facilitate the end of the rope can be controlled from the helm.
So a couple of weeks ago I made 4 more sets of double bollards to match the ones we already have.
I didn't want to weld these on as there is spray foam insulation underneath. This is supposed to be fire resistant but I'd rather not test it and besides it smells when it's burnt by welding. So I've used captive nuts called "clinch nuts".
The serrations grip into and hold on to the metal providing a very tough thread to attach too.
With the holes drilled the bollards were attached with sealant on the mating surface.
They just need painting once the sealant is cured.
Also finished today was the anchor winch. This has been a ongoing project for a while. When I first got it it was a bit of a mess being probably over 70 years old. It was caked in paint and had the wrong chain gypsey for my anchor chain. I had the paint blasted off and to my surprise the body is cast bronze.
I managed to find another gypsey compatible with my chain but the bore was too large so I had a spacing ferrule made. This was all secured to the shaft with a 10mm roll pin.
The winch was missing its wheel. This is not uncommon as the old wheels tend to be cast iron and are easily broken when they are being removed. I was able to get one cast in aluminum by a chap that makes anchor winches.
This is the finished winch.
All that's needed now is another coat of paint.
Something I have to share with you. We will be starting our continental trip Jill & Graham on NB Matilda Rose.
Graham has had some special doggy equipment made. Click the link to see the full story.