Thursday 8 March 2012

Shhh!

The hose arrived for the generator exhaust modification, but before I could fit it I had to wizz of to London to pick up the steps that DW Wood Molding made for me.

Here's a sneak peek.  Warning its naked!

The steel insert is just plain steel template
I have 24 of them being chrome plated

Once I was back I put the new bit of wet exhaust pipe and silencer in.


I didn't think this little box would do much but it did.


                                    Before                                                          After

I don't know much about dB, but I do know the scale is a logarithmic one and that its understood that an increase somewhere between 6dB and 10dB is perceived by most listeners as "double" the volume.

So on basic maths the genny is now about 2½ quieter.

2 comments:

  1. You're right - dB is a logarithmic scale. 10dB (i.e. 1 Bel) is equal to a power difference of 10 times. So you have achieved more than 20dB improvement, which is 10 x 10 times better, i.e. the sound power is reduced by more than 100 times. Pretty impressive silencer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Peter

    Thanks for the explanation, it makes it much clearer than I could.

    ReplyDelete